Wednesday, October 13, 2004

So I've spent the last hour reading a complete stranger's blog. I plan to return to the site and finish reading after this post. He has over a year's worth of entries, and I enjoy reading them. It's the same kind of loner, offbeat character that I admire in the works of Haruki Murakami. Meaningless sex and a constant search for something better - why do these people interest me? I guess it's because I could never be like that. I think too much about the consequences of my actions. We discussed Buddhism in my Eastern World class, and I heard from an ex-nun who now is a devout Buddhist. It was one of the most thought-provoking things I've seen. People had trouble understanding how she could reject her Christianity and convert, but I was just wondering if I could work up the same passion. If someone were to ask, I would say I'm between religions. I know that there's something greater out there, but I can't cope with all of the contradictions and restrictions of the Christian religion, at least not the fundamentalist view. I guess the radical theologians still appeal to me, but I'm not gung-ho about finding any kind of answer right now anyway. I'm fine going through the motions and winding up my spring. Maybe I'll not bother to wind it some day, but for now I can go through the motions and cope with it. How did this post switch to religion? I don't know. I guess I don't care.
I'm just going through the motions today. I woke up today and seriously thought it was Tuesday. I almost got up and started getting ready for my 9:30 class, until I realized that it's Wed. and I didn't have anything until 10 a.m. Sweet, sweet half hour of sleep. I'm in the process of listening to a self-hypnosis tape that can let me get by on less sleep. It's a way of keeping your brain in the theta and delta brainwave states for the duration of sleep. Some people can sleep for as little as three hours with this technique. I'm still learning, and come 6 a.m., I just turn off the CD and hit the snooze alarm until 9. At least my multivitamins are giving me more energy and I don't feel so listless anymore. It's October, and some of you know what that means. It's time for me to read Norwegian Wood. I have to transition into winter, and the best way to do that is through reading about the demented love triangle in the book. Suicide and apathy - what a way to usher in my least favorite season. But I love the book.
But don't worry, I don't have time to read it right now. Well, I'm going back to my blog reading. Enjoy your evening.

No comments: