Saturday, February 12, 2005

It's 3:20 a.m., and I should probably be heading to bed, but Matt's entry and my evening guided me to write this lovely nighttime entry. I went to Kansas City this evening to attend Truman State University's Cantoria Spring Tour Concert at the Redemptorist Catholic Church. It was amazing. The songs were great and the choir worked so well together.
Why did I go to the concert? That's simple. I went to the concert because my girl is in Cantoria and I love going to her concerts. What struck me about Cantoria? Well, first of all they had GREAT vowels, and I love it when a choir sticks the vowels perfectly. Secondly, they enjoyed each other's company.
After the concert, the choir went to the Plaza for dinner at 10 p.m. and I tagged along. I've never heard so much laughter in one restaurant. In a matter of seconds I was accepted into the group and could easily laugh and joke with the choir too. What does Cantoria possess? The people in the choir all love music, and they remember that when the times get rough. It's admirable.
I'm not a music major. I'm not a music minor. In fact, the only college music class I have taken is Tower Choir, but I love music with all of my soul. I "miss" a lot of the drama of fine arts because I don't spend a lot of my time over in that building. I live in Wells Hall with the other basement journalists, but I treasure my trips to Fine Arts like nothing else. I keep telling people that I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have Tower Choir this semester. I really think it's the glue that's holding my stressful life together.
I guess it all comes down to attitude. Dr. Town might conduct just like a metronome, but I've experienced directors who barely gave the beat. As an accompanist, I wanted to strangle those conductors. However, I am not a perfect musician. I am far from it. I love music, but I have to work to accomplish beautiful music. When it comes down to it, we all expect different things from one person, so it's easy to forget that he/she is human too. Those schooled in the technical arena of music (something I am not privy to) might criticize their professors, but those of us who are in it solely for the love of song just want to share music with everyone.

No comments: