Tuesday, April 26, 2005

There are several weeks throughout the school year that I love.
The first week of fall classesThe week after ThanksgivingFall Finals WeekThe first week of spring classesThe week after spring breakSpring Finals Week
Why? Because I can be assured of a longer casual conversation with friends and acquaintances. Instead of "Hey, how's it going?" or "What's up?" I can say "How are finals treating you?" or "How was your break/summer?". This makes me feel like more of a human being. I always feel my on-campus casual conversations are very robotic or formulated. I guess they still are during these weeks, but they seem a little more personal.
Anyway, I wish I had been able to see the Celebration Spring Show, but I was on the 5 p.m. train to Kirksville Friday evening. And by train I mean car. And by 5 p.m. I mean 5:30. Anyway, I was on my way to see my fiancée, Samantha, and also to see her choir, Cantoria sing Saturday night.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with Samantha and it was nice to stay the extra day and come back this afternoon. I felt quite domestic this weekend since I painted a room, cleaned and rearranged with Sam, washed dishes, and spent some quality time at Ace Hardware. I forgot how much I love spending time in hardware stores.
Sadly, my weekend also reminded me of that scene from Old School where Frank (Will Ferrell) is talking about his weekend plans:"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."Now, don't get me wrong. I love working around the house, but it also felt very adult-like. I'm not ready to enter the real world. Anyway, I digress. By Sunday afternoon, I was dead tired. I decided I was done for the day and relaxed on the couch. All in all, it was a very productive weekend.
But back to Saturday night and the Cantoria concert... That choir has some amazing qualities, and it turns out they dislike their director like many of T.C. members dislike Dr. Town. Anyway, the first half of their program was astounding, and they even pulled off an 11-movement chorale. That was magnificent, although the only parts that really moved me were 1, 2 and 9. Don't ask me the exact name of the piece because I left my program in the car.However, the second half of the program lacked spirit. Perhaps it was because they were tired after their amazing first half. Perhaps it was because they were handed that music two weeks before the concert. But most of all it was because their director told them to sing "My Soul's Been Anchored in the Lord" by Moses Hogan as straight as possible. It was disheartening. They suddenly took on a very Caucasian style. VERY Caucasian. Nevertheless, I'm a stickler for vowels and that is something at which Cantoria excels. Good vowels MAKE MY JUICES JUICE...in the words of Dr. Town.
My finals week is moving along quite nicely, and I don't actually have any finals until Wednesday morning at 7:30. Ugh, three 7:30 finals this week, but at least I get them done early in the morning.
Well, I told Sarah I would be at Fine Arts at 8:45 tomorrow morning to practice with her for her jury at 9:10, so I should probably wrap this up and head to bed. My bed is covered with clothes, so I might just sleep on the futon I put together tonight. No, I'm not crazy. I'll be sticking around my room after this week during summer classes, so it made sense to put together the futon rather than just leave it stacked up in the corner of my room.
I apologize for the long time span between updates and I'll try to do better in the future. I promise nothing for next week, however, because I'll be in Michigan and I don't get online as much up there.
*Special thanks to Tipps for providing words for my post. I could only think of the word associates when I needed to use acquaintances. His speedy assistance is greatly appreciated.*

No comments: