Saturday, May 14, 2005

I just spent 4 1/2 hours practicing piano/organ at the Episcopal Church. That's right, 4.5 hours. I feel like I got a lot accomplished, but I also felt kind of like a heathen because I didn't know what Pentecost is. I didn't grow up in a church with any kind of litugical calendar per se, so I'm still learning what all these things are. After finally learning what Pentecost is, I chose pretty much all new hymns for tomorrow's service because Dr. Loomis, although a great guy, isn't the best chooser of hymns. I think figuring out the hymn schedule might soon be my job, or at least amending it. The congregation is trying to beef up its music program (from none to some), and it kind of sucks that we aren't familiar with the hymns we sing. We need to introduce them one at a time instead of four. That's where I come in.
Enough ranting about the church music program. I did practically nothing yesterday/last night, but I was up until 4 a.m. organizing my mp3 collection. It was in need of major work because the ID3 tags were not cool. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, just think "Brent=obessive compulsive=need to organize everything=sorts his mp3 files."
I haven't been updating a lot because I have no life and most of the things I plan to work on this summer are still in the planning stage. I'm still sorting through stacks of papers and tons of resources for the yearbook staff manual and I'm also taking 6 hours of classes right now, which as you summer people know is enough work. I've started working out again, and by working out I mean running. I need to lift weights but I just don't have it in me. I can go run pretty much anytime I want to, but it seems like lifting always requires some kind of scheduling process. I'm slowly improving my stamina with running, so once I feel fit again I might make an effort to lift regularly. Oh, in terms of running, does anyone have or know of a pedometer that's accurate? I had one once, but it didn't match my actual distance running, so I don't have it anymore. I'm looking for a cheap, yet effective device.
Well, I'm still not 100% organized in terms of unpacking my apartment, so I'm going to get started on that again. Maybe someday I'll actually settle into my living space and I can be more constructive. Right now it just feels as if I'm simply moving piles from one location to another. I think I need about 4 filing cabinets...but I have no room and I don't want to spend the money. Oh well, back to work.
*EDIT* Just got back from measuring the distance of my run. Six miles. I think the last time I ran six miles was at cross country practice when I was 14. Six years later, almost seven. I can do it, but it hurt. I just kept pushing myself farther and farther. For those of you interested, from the Forest Village Apartments down College Park Drive to Sixteenth St, across and down Grand to Fox Rd over to Country Club Drive to Fourth Street, 4 laps around the track, down Fourth Street again to Main Street turning left and running to Sixteenth Street and back down to College Park Drive and to the Apartments is 6 miles. That's what I did. I weighed (I'm not afraid of people knowing my weight) 194 when I left to run. Upon my return I weighed 192. Most of that was probably all the dehydration and stuff, but I thought it was a good, yet scary, indicator of a tough workout.
*EDIT* Make that 5 1/2 hours at the church today. More practicing. It's amazing how much you can get done when you have no life.

No comments: