Friday, October 14, 2005

So, I said I was going to update about my change in career plans, and I'm finally done with my RHA stuff, so I guess I will.
I've been thinking a lot about journalism and how it's not right for me. I've also been thinking a lot about my passion for writing and how it's not likely to bring home any money soon. So, I'm stuck at an impasse. Do I pursue a job I know I won't like or do I step out and risk it all with almost certain failure? And then I found a great compromise. I love to teach, I really do. When I was 11, I wanted to be a math teacher. I've moved on from math, and although I thought about music for awhile, I've decided I would be a kickass English professor. I think I fit the part. And the great thing is, I could teach writing. I could continue to practice my craft, stay in the academic environment (which I love) and teach others to write. It's a win-win-win situation. So now I'm looking at graduate schools and really thinking hard about teaching. I don't want to be a reporter who writes creatively on the side. I don't want to be a professional who writes on the side. I want writing to be my lifeforce, whether I'm teaching or writing. It was a giant "AHA" moment when I came to this conclusion. I realize I may never be on the bestseller list, but as long as I can do what I love, I'll be fine. I'm doomed for a life of relative poverty, and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: