Thursday, March 02, 2006

I always wondered how doctors remove staples from your body. It's a lot like pulling staples out of paper. Granted, the prongs of the staples aren't folded in as far when dealing with human skin, but they still just reach in there, squeeze and the action plucks the staples from your skin. The pain is a lot like pulling hairs. It's a sharp sting that lingers after the staple is gone. The doctor started with the lowest surgical wound first, quickly plucking four staples as I thought, This isn't all that bad. I bit my lip in an effort to hold back the verbal expression of pain. He quickly switched to the two staples that were right above my beltline. Snip snip. Two more metal clasps freed from my dermis. Then he began to dig. The scab and clotted blood held the four staples in my belly button tighter than the other six, and he had to dig into my scab to release the other four. Three deliberate snips, more digging and a final snip freed my skin of its surgical bindings. "See me in two weeks," he said, turning to place the instrument on the counter. "That's it." I pulled my clothing back over my wounds and stood up. The whole process only took a few minutes, but the sound of the staple remover stayed with me while I walked to the car.

No comments: