Monday, June 12, 2006

Well, we're back from the Honeymoon and are staying at Sam's parents' house for a few days. So I suppose some sort of update is in order.

Well, the wedding was a blast. My nerves were not too bad on the wedding day (although I did manage to break a tooth the day before because of grinding my jaws in my sleep). My wedding nerves were rather passive, and they didn't get in the way of the day at all. I drove about 1,000 miles around southwest Michigan running various errands the few days before the big day (and on the big day). I don't think I've ever driven so much in such a little time (long road trips to and from school excluded). Due to my great amounts of driving, I didn't get to relax as much as I had wanted, but such is life.

The wedding was great, the wedding party was great, and all in all it was a successful ceremony. I'll post pictures as soon as I get pictures.

Probably the most memorable event of the wedding day was when we stopped at Tyden Park on our way to the reception. We had rented the Holly Trolley to take the wedding party around town, and we wanted some outdoor pictures. Upon arriving, we found the park fairly empty, save for one unkempt woman in a black Cher shirt. As she approached the wedding party, I realized she was a crazy cat lady (not joking). She chased her cat around the park yelling, "Come back here, ya old bastard." Turns out she wasn't just a crazy cat lady, but a drunk crazy cat lady. Luckily, I was able to avoid her for the most part, but Sam and her bridesmaid Shelley had a close encounter with the woman. Great memories.

The reception was awesome as well. We had a blast at the Country Club, and there are lots of pictures for us to post as soon as we get them loaded on the computer. I had a blast hanging out with all of our friends and family, and the people working the reception said they hadn't had that much fun at a reception ever. It was truly awesome.

Blah blah blah, left the reception, went up to Grand Rapids to spend the night in a hotel before leaving for Mexico the next morning. After a rather lengthy flight from Chicago to Puerto Vallarta, we arrived at our all-inclusive resort, Grand Velas. I could describe how truly awesome this place is, and I will soon post pictures of our room and view, but for now you can just stop by grandvelas.com to see pictures of the resort. The honeymoon was a great chance to relax and spend some quality time together. It was just what we needed after the stress of the wedding. I did a good job not getting sunburned until Friday, when I truly got fried by the pool. All in all, it was great. We didn't have to pay for food or alcohol. Sam has a great story to tell everyone about my encounter with a peacock after drinking a whole bottle of White Zinfandel, but I'll let her tell you that tale. I also got drunk on mojitos and tequila later in the week.

At the end of the honeymoon, we were both ready to come back to the U.S. of A. and hang out with our family. The trip back was rather uneventful, save for the fact that Mexico was playing Iran in the World Cup while we were at the airport. Needless to say, a lot of the airport staff was more interested in the game than in helping the travellers.

So now we're back in Michigan, and we're spending a few days here before coming back down to Maryville. I'll do my best to post pictures very soon (and NYC pictures for those of you who are still waiting). Until then, keep on keeping on.

No comments: