Saturday, August 26, 2006

I'm rather ambivalent about this new job. Sure, it feels great to have some income after being unemployed for several months, but I'm afraid the rest of my life is suffering because of it.

I haven't written anything creative since August 3rd. More than three weeks have passed and my story sits untouched. Instead, I spend my days trying to sell people TVs and other home theater equipment. It's a little depressing, actually.

Furthermore, I'm driving about 80 miles round-trip to get to said job, making the rest of my day pretty non-existent. By the time I get home, I just want to relax and veg out.

There were so many opportunities for me to work here in Maryville doing something I actually enjoyed, but they just didn't work out. My high school journalism teacher just recently arrived in Kuwait to teach English. Her life right now seems so exotic and new. Mine is all about explaining the difference between plasma, lcd and projection screens.

I guess I'm feeling a little more discouraged than normal today because my department is having a mandatory meeting at 7 a.m. tomorrow. That means I have to get up at 5:30 to get ready and drive down to St. Joseph. I had the day off (except for playing at church), but now I get to wake up early and waste time in a meeting. After the cost of gas, the whole thing will have me earning about $4.

No comments: