Thursday, August 03, 2006

I've been in a writing funk this past week or so. And by writing funk, I mean I haven't written anything. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. I find this very disheartening. I don't know exactly why it happened, and I can't figure out how to get back into my story.

I still feel very strongly about it, and I can't draw myself away, but for some reason I'm frozen. I don't know if it's my pesky self-editor rearing his ugly head and I just don't recognize him or if it's something else. Either way, I'm finding myself in an interesting predicament.

I looked at graduate schools again today, and I'm really glad I bought An Insider's Guide to Creative Writing Programs by Amy Holman. I found a couple more schools that have pretty good programs and offer some unique advantages. Plus, it helps to have a lot of options out there. You see, most programs only accept 10-12 writers every year. So out of the hundreds of people applying, you really have to stick out. Hopefully, I will. However, my top choice (U of Iowa) is also one of the most prestigious writing programs in the nation.

Speaking of sticking out, it will be difficult to stick out if I can't assemble my portfolio. You see, most schools want 2-3 short stories or a section of a novel. I have one short story that hasn't evolved (or is evolving) into a novel, and I have one part of a novel, but not enough to make a good portfolio. I guess I should stop complaining and start writing.

You know, I'm feeling just the slightest bit creative, so maybe I should take advantage of this. Thanks for letting me work it out here.

No comments: