Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Book Survey

Now, most surveys you find on the internet are just plain stupid, but I really liked this one because it's something I'm passionate about.

A book that changed my life: What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. Now I'll admit that I saw the film adaptation before I read this book, but the ideas in this book changed my entire outlook on life and the afterlife. It's what broke me loose from the constraints of traditional Christian thought regarding the afterlife. I may be wrong, but I feel much more alive and purposeful since beginning to understand an alternative theory on death.

A book I've read more than once: I've made it a point to read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien every year since the first time I read it. It's a classic piece of children's literature, and a quick and refreshing read.

A book I'd take to a deserted island: Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. I chose this book mainly because I'm still learning about all of its intricacies, but every time I think of the passage "Imagine a Carthage sown with salt..." I get goosebumps.

A book that made me laugh: The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. This book is wonderful, and Kwan cracked me up on more than one occasion. Of course, it has some sad parts too.

A book that made me (want to) cry: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. This book is a perfect companion to teenage angst, but it has a deeper level of dwelling on relationships and our unrealistic ideas of what those should be. That sadness, the discontent, flows throughout the whole book.

A book I wish I'd written: The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Not the most well-written piece of prose out there, but I love the public reaction to it. It's a cultural phenomenon, and people seem to completely forget that it's a fictional story. Some folks are just way too sensitive.

A book that should never have been written: The Haunting of Hip Hop by Bertice Berry. Dreadful. I'm glad I only paid a few dollars for it.

A book I'm currently reading: Hunger by Lan Samantha Chang. It's her early work: a novella and some short stories. I've only read the novella, but it's pretty interesting so far.

A book I'm planning to read: The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan.

No comments: