Sunday, April 22, 2007

I was offered a dried fig by a customer this evening at work. I graciously accepted because I was on hour seven of my shift and had not had a break. As I chewed on the sweet, leathery piece of fruit, he explained that he was purchasing the figs to teach a Sunday school class about Jesus and fig trees.

I nodded, and thought about my own religious views. The Buddha found Enlightenment sitting under the Bodhi, or Sacred Fig, tree. It's funny how simple things like figs can link two religions and each side can keep from offending each other. It was a brief conversation, which is to be expected at the grocery store checkout, but I felt it was a symbolic reconciliation of my personal ill feelings toward Christianity. He wasn't talking about his religion, he was talking about his life.

I haven't written in a long time. Most of that is because I couldn't focus long enough to write. Even now, I'm not working on my story, but at least I'm writing.

I miss the ocean. The weather this afternoon was warm and breezy. As I wheeled a cart full of groceries to a customer's car, I thought today was perfect. The only thing that was missing was the smell of salt in the air. Summer is finally on its way, and this is my favorite time of the season.

No comments: